My stay improved
this month because of the cooler weather. There are only two seasons in Sierra
Leone, Dry and Rainy. During the rainy season, practically every night it rains
heavily. There has been many storms with lightning and thunder which are
beautiful to watch during dusk. One night lightning struck the guest house a
couple of weeks ago, which shorted the electrical fuses. It is a big inconvenience,
but no one was hurt. The mere thought of experiencing dry season again is
not pleasant.
On another note, I was tasked to develop two curricula in Biomedical engineering. I have, with the assistance of a higher education institute in Nepal (which I hope to initiate a partnership with) and another colleague a proposed two drafts. The goal is to meet with additional stakeholders to review and amend the curriculum in order to forward it for accreditation to the Ministry of Higher Education. Hopefully the formal review committee will be established by mid-September. Looking forward to the initial thoughts and discussions we will have around the drafts. I also assisted with three other curriculum, that have already been submitted for accreditation. I will keep you posted as to which graduate programs were approved.
During this
writing, panel, and final examination grading, I also was a member of the
steering conference committee for the planning and preparation for Unimak
hosting its first international conference. It was an expensive adventure with
minimal funding, so fundraising was a big part of preparing for it. However, we
were able to make do and it occurred, with a few technical hiccups, but now
they will be better prepared for the next one. It was a three-day event with
attendees from eight or more different countries.
By for now.
Nancy





No comments:
Post a Comment